The Church was founded under the preaching of George Phillips. Mr Phillips, the son of a Devonshire farmer was converted under the preaching of Charles Wesley. Phillips held a series of open air preaching meetings, beginning in April 1810 that led to the formation of the Church. By the October of that year, the chapel had been built.
The Church was called 'Providence' because the open air services that led to the gathering of the Church were not once hindered by rain.'Penknap' is the name of the field on which the chapel was built.